Thursday 22 October 2009

Full Marks Headlice Treatments





Just from typing "headlice", I now have an itchy head - it's psychological !! But every time the girls come home from school and I see them scratching their heads, I'm sure it isn't psychological and pounce on them with a nit comb just to be on the safe side ! Fingers crossed, they haven't brought home any unwanted visitors yet - and I really don't know how they've managed it, with the number of times the teachers have put up little "headlice alert - please check your child's head" signs in their classroom windows.

Just in case, I always like to keep some headlice treatment on hand in the bathroom. So when I was offered some Full Marks solution and solution spray to test, I jumped at the chance. It's been in my drawers (chest of drawers, not knickers !!) for the past few weeks and I haven't had the need to test it so far. Therefore I can't tell you how effective it is at treating the little critters.

According to the manufacturers, it's clinically proven to kill headlice in ten minutes. Gone are the days, when I was a kid, of having to go to bed with foul-smelling treatment in your hair overnight ! It's really simple to use : "Apply to dry hair, leave for 10 minutes. Comb through hair with comb provided to remove the remains of lice and eggs. Finally wash out using non- conditioning shampoo." Ten minutes later, you should be able to go mwa-ha-ha, bye bye evil little monsters - but just to be sure, it's recommended to redo a treatment after seven days.

What I really like is the fact that it doesn't contain traditional pesticides. Unlike normal headlice treatments that poison the lice (and presumably don't do much good for humans either), Full Marks Solution has a physical action on them that makes them dehydrate and die. Yuck, it sounds like putting salt on slugs and watching them shrivel up (which always used to fascinate me as a child but makes me feel sick now !!)

The treatment can be bought in two forms, as the traditional solution in a squeezy bottle, or as a handy spray, which is much easier to control. Either way, it's an oily liquid that, to my surprise, doesn't smell of anything much (at least in the bottle, I haven't used it on hair yet). The Full Marks Solution (100ml) contains enough for two treatments, and although this isn't indicated on the packaging, the Full Marks Solution Spray must contain at least two treatments, as it contains 150ml. Whichever version you buy, it comes with a really handy nit comb for eliminating eggs and dead lice.

Due to its lack of pesticides, it's suitable for anyone over the age of two, even for children who suffer from eczema or asthma.

If your children have got headlice, the chances are they're feeling sorry for themselves and/or embarrassed. They might like the games on the Full Marks website - there's a wordsearch, a quiz and a dot-to-dot to download which should take them about ten minutes, just time for the treatment to work !

RRP :

FULL MARKS solution with comb 100ml : £5.99 (other sizes available)

Full Marks Solution Spray with comb 150ml : £11.73

star rating : 4.5/5 (for lack of smell, presentation and lack of traditional pesticides but I haven't tested it for efficiency yet)

3 comments:

  1. Lucky lucky you. My 4 year old daughter has come home from school for the 2nd time with headlice! So mummy has them too. This treatment doesn't work. Was informed by the chemist when I told them the day after they'd sold it me for £12! that it hadn't worked that I should have sat and removed every lice and every egg. Hard to do on a 4 year old with hair to her bottom. Even harder to do to yourself. So basically paid £12 for something that wasn't as effective as cheap conditioner. So don't call the old treatments. I'm sat now with an itchy head, praying for a treatment like the old ones, at least they worked! I used to like the risk of not setting fire to my own head while I had a sly fag, and the fact everything in a 1m radius died, including your nasal hair. I hate head lice. Once you've used this you can't retreat for 7 days. We can give you nits if you want to really try the lotion out! I'm of for the dogs flea shampoo. I'm itching !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky lucky you. My 4 year old daughter has come home from school for the 2nd time with headlice! So mummy has them too. This treatment doesn't work. Was informed by the chemist when I told them the day after they'd sold it me for £12! that it hadn't worked that I should have sat and removed every lice and every egg. Hard to do on a 4 year old with hair to her bottom. Even harder to do to yourself. So basically paid £12 for something that wasn't as effective as cheap conditioner. So don't call the old treatments. I'm sat now with an itchy head, praying for a treatment like the old ones, at least they worked! I used to like the risk of not setting fire to my own head while I had a sly fag, and the fact everything in a 1m radius died, including your nasal hair. I hate head lice. Once you've used this you can't retreat for 7 days. We can give you nits if you want to really try the lotion out! I'm of for the dogs flea shampoo. I'm itching !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I shouldn't laugh but your comments made me smile! I still haven't needed the head lice treatment despite nits doing the rounds at both my son's and my daughter's school - maybe it's the Vosene nit repellent shampoo that really works ? I honestly don't know but it's OK, I'll pass on your offer of sending them our way, thanks !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...